We are offering 9 sections of introductory chemistry at LPHS in the 2023-2024 school year. The teachers work collaboratively and use the same resources, assignments, and schedule. There is at least one section offered every class period.
- Make sure the email addresses listed in Skyward (for both student and guardian) are accurate! (Students: please use (or set a forward to) an email address that you actually CHECK, i.e., the email address that updates to your smart phone, if you have one.)
- Do not allow yourself to fall behind. Concepts build upon prior knowledge, so if you don't do the homework at the beginning of a unit, odds are good that you will struggle with concepts for the rest of that unit because of it.
- Watch the calendar! Units are frequently very short. Generally there is a new test or a retake deadline (or both) every week. All of these are already marked on the calendar. Being unaware of a deadline will not get you an extension. Add the calendar to your gmail account (this can also update to a smart phone).
- There will be homework. Every day. Plan on it. We will learn new things. Every day. Plan on it. Choose to be excited to learn new ideas and skills. Polish up your work ethic and enjoy the opportunity to grow, because that is what school is all about.
- Use the resources that are available. All class notes and all handouts are available on this website (and via Canvas) for viewing or download. There are tutorial videos or applets linked with many concepts as well. We have spent quality time recording teacher narrations for all of the class notes. There is an outline-style review posted with every unit. (Some students use these outlines during the units as well, since they often explain things in a different way than the class notes do.) We are in the process of making review videos for every unit standard. Take advantage of the availability of course content for this class. We are working hard to give you the resources you need to succeed.